Zeppelin L 30(LZ 62)


Zeppelin L 30(LZ 62)

Description

Zeppelin "L 30" (factory number "LZ 62") was the first R-class "Super Zeppelin" of the German Empire. It was the most successful airship of the First World War with 31 reconnaissance flights and 10 bombing runs carrying a total of 23,305 kg of bombs, with the first ones targeting England, and the four final raids targeting Livonia and Ösel (Saaremaa). It was at the time of construction the world's largest Zeppelin, and with its 6 engines, "L 30" could reach speeds higher than 100 km/h, making it also the fastest Zeppelin.
It was constructed at Luftschiffbau Zeppelin in Friedrichshafen, the first with gondolas on the sides. It remained in the service of the Imperial German Navy from 1916 to its decommissioning in 1917. "L 30" was decommissioned in 1917, and survived World War I. It was handed over to Belgium as part of the war reparations laid on Germany. Its gondolas are today on display at the Royal Military Historical Museum in Brussels, the only remaining gondolas of a war Zeppelin in the world.

Download

Zeppelin L 30(LZ 62) Size 7.7Mb

Pilot Notes

Gas valve controls

Rigid airships like L 30 take-off light in a static maneuver and normally land weighed-off to slightly heavy in a static maneuver. The primary use for the gas valves is to reduce static lightness when needed.

Ballast controls


Ground crew


Weapons


Specials


Engine Controls

Engines are controlled with the "Machine Telegraph".
Machine Telegraph
There is no need for the usual key commands. To start the engine just click on the "Leer" text left to the lever. The left part of the lever will jump into position. When the command is executed (Engine started or throttle changed) the right part of the lever will jump into position.

Engines are arranged from left to right, the fore engine is on the far left, then comes the left side engine, next comes then right side engine and finally the three aft engines.


Back